Thursday, March 10, 2011

Quote of the Week Ya Freak!

Ok, so I told you about the pharmacy already.
I had to go back......multiple times......for various things.  You know how it is - one thing goes and the rest shits the bed along with it!
Anyway, so I'm going to translate the conversation I had with the pharmacist in Thai, to English:

M=ME!!!
P=PHARMY
PD= PHARMY'S DAUGHTER

M: Hi, can I have something soothing to suck (ahem).
P:  Yes, here you are.  And why do you live around here?  Why don't you live in the nice part of town?
M: I like it here, and it's cheaper than where all the other expats live.
P:  But, there are so many people doing bad things here.
M: Ummm, oh, you mean the prostitues?
P:  No, they're earning honest cash.  They're not a problem.  I mean the people who take drugs.
M: Oh?  Well, I don't really see them and I don't care either.  You get that in any city.
      I really don't see them - I think you're a bit too worried about me.  I'm really fine!  I love it here!
P:  But, you do know you live in a phhrrrrbbbrrrmingbingbong, don't you?
M: Sorry, I don't understand that word.  What do you mean?

Then the pharmacist fetched her daughter who could speak English and this is also where THE QUOTE OF THE DAY comes into this blabber:

PD: You know, you live in a SLUM.

This actually made my week!
In truth, I do live in a poorer area of Bangkok called Thonburi.  I live near Wongwian Yai, which translates as "Big roundabout" and there is one.  It's MASSIVE.  Granted, we don't have the Versace stores, Starbucks or overpriced fried rice you can get on the other side of the river from me - but you can take a river taxi, which is not only a very reasonable (shit cheap) 10 baht, but also makes you feel like you're taking part in a Bruce Lee movie and you don't get stuck in any of the city's traffic jams, not to mention the breeze!
But, I have to say, I love it over here!  It's literally 10 minutes from the centre.  I live in the middle of a Muslim (southern), Isaan and Chinese neighborhood and reep the benefits of this when it comes to culture and cuisine that's cooked with loving care, rather than the heartless food that's chugged out for the millions of drunk people passing through on their whirlwind tour of S.E. Asia.

So ghetto or not, I love it SICK!  I've never felt more safe nor welcome than I do here.  It truly feels like home and therefore I am proud to say "I LOVE MY SLUM!"

Here are some pictures to show you why:


















































































2 comments:

  1. Love the street stalls & market! It's true: the further one is from the Mecca of tourism, the more culture one can experience. ~Unless tourism IS the culture!

    ReplyDelete